Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My first Wii online reviews: News and Weather

Weather:
Although you can get weather info from a seemingly unlimited number of sources on the web, the weather application on the Wii is not only convenient but has a very user-friendly interface. It just has a nice look and feel to it. When I first saw it on there, I didn't really think it was a feature I would use but actually, I have been checking it frequently and feel I will continue to do so.

News:
If you are like me, you probably saw this link on your Wii and thought news and news. What could they possibly have that would make theirs different? And for the most part, the answer to that is nothing. But like their weather, their news also has a nice look and feel to it. They do have one feature called "slide show" that basically does just what it says. When selected, headlines pop up on the screen every so many seconds. When you see one you like, you press the "A" button and the story is displayed. One of the neat aspects of "slide show" is that when going through the headlines, a marker travels across a map indicating where the story is from. For example, a headline about a sports story concerning the Chicago Cubs would have a circle on a map zoomed in to Chicago, Illinois.

Neither of the features mentioned above would be a reason to purchase the Wii but considering they are free to anyone who can access the internet with their console, they are nice little extras. I now prefer accessing both news and weather via the Wii to using my computer. I should mention however that while they do have a respectable amount of news available, it is no substitution for the amount of news you can find through a 1000 different websites. I would speculate that at most times, there are 10 to 20 stories available in each of their 7 topics (but don't hold me to that).

No comments: