Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Life relents

Whew ... as I've written recently, it's been a busy time, but it finally looks like things are settling back down to normal. Memorial Day weekend was the culmination of all our plans, but it was a tough one with a long weekend/mini-vacation thrown into the mix.

The weekend began Friday afternoon, as I finished work a little early and rushed home to gather the family and head for Lexington, where Alan lives. The plan was to drive there, check in to our motel, pick up Alan and head over to watch Lexington's minor league baseball team, the Legends. The way it was working out, we had just enough time to make it, as long as no unforeseen impediments arose. Unfortunately, such impediments did arise, as we had to stop at a couple of stores to pick up some last minute supplies, then realized we had left some papers we needed at home and had to go back.

Long story short, we arrived at the ballpark about an hour late. We headed up to the ticket counter and I just happened to overhear the clerk tell the person at the window next to me that they started letting people in for free at the top of the fifth inning, and it was right then the bottom of the fourth. Needless to say, we opted to be cheapskates.

The ballgame was fun. This was my first time to a minor league game, after going to my first Major League game (the Reds) earlier this year. Comparing the two, I definitely had much more fun watching the Legends.

The next morning, we were up bright and early to drive to Branson, Missouri. My wife bought one of those super-cheap two-night trips last year, and we had a year to use it, so we were pretty much at the point where we had to go. There were two major drawbacks -- a 700-mile drive and a timeshare presentation on the other side. We toughed it out and had a good time, but I imagine that's the last time we go to Branson. We can do and see nearly all the same things in the Smokies, and that's half the distance. Branson was fun, but it's just too far to drive.

So, now that that's all over, I'll have more time to devote to this blog and, hopefully, playing some video games. And as this site is still fairly new, I'm still tinkering with how it's presented. I began The Wii-kly News as a Sunday feature, but then it dawned on me that that was a dumb idea, since Virtual Console games are released on Mondays and new releases come out (usually) on Tuesday. So now I'm thinking that Wednesday is a good day for The Wii-kly News.

Oh yeah, I neglected to mention that before all this began, I had a birthday. So now I can sign my posts ...

-- by Dad, age 38

No comments: